Sunday 13 July 2014

Matchy Matchy



So the matchy matchy trend is very much alive and well in South Korea. Way more so than anywhere else I've seen it.

Despite the recent efforts of the bigger brands like H&M, raving about couple fashion and posting photoshoots of men and women dressed vaguely to match (both wearing a plaid shirt of different styles and colours simply does not cut it, my friend.) to my knowledge, at home it's still seen as cringe and a bit OTT to have a near-identical outfit to your other half. But here, everyone's doing the twin thing.

I was so undecided on it. Everything I knew was telling me it was a bit odd, especially when I saw it wasn't exclusive to middle and high school couples. I grew to love the "complementary" option, where you go for a similar colour or pattern, say a denim dress on one, and a denim shirt with tan shorts that you can match a handbag to. That's pretty sweet.

But then there are the couples that literally seem to just buy two of everything. Thing 1 and Thing 2. Right down to matching hats and trainers. Okay, we get it, you're an "item".

Oddly, when done right, even this looks adorable. I don't know how it's come to this. Identical outfits is something I associate with creepy twins dressed by their mothers that think it's cute (but surely ultimately very confusing?), not couples out on a date.

Alas, I've been infected. I think it's pretty cute.
So we tried it out.


Nick looks pretty unenthused by the whole idea in a lot of photos but I assure you he actively encourages this trend.

Here's some more examples of Korean couples that are altogether far more fashionable and beautiful than us humble nerd kids:


So, what do you think? Is it cute or way OTT, and would you or have you tried it out with your SO?

No comments:

Post a Comment



blogger template by lovebird