Friday 5 September 2014

Tall in Korea | H&M Haul

So. I'm about 6'1" and don't exactly have the wonderful willowy physique of a dancer or supermodel.

Naturally, in Korea (and more likely Asia in general) it's hard to find clothes that fit me.

When I moved here, I had one suitcase and the clothes on my back, and somehow managed to bring hardly anything that actually looked nice. I'm not sure how I managed that, but I did. Korean fashion is great, and adorable, and for a little while I was really excited. Think of all the cool and cute clothes I can buy for cheap out there!

Erm, no. In the markets, where the clothes are cheap and plentiful, most of the clothes are "onesize" and that size is definitely not my size, haha. I've seen skirts that I could repurpose as a very fashionable garter.

My other problem is that, in preparation for small clothing, I brought a lot of winter clothes, assuming they'd be hard to find in a size big enough for me. This means that I'm totally unprepared for Korea's sweltering summer heat and humidity. In desperation, I finally found an H&M in Incheon (haven't found time to shop in Myeongdong or Hongdae yet) and what did I see?

A sale.

Let's go crazy!

I got 4 new dresses, and maybe 5 or so tops for about £40. All of the clothes were gloriously European sized, so there were plenty of big sizes. I think I actually overcompensated and bought some things that were a little TOO big for me. Sadly, there weren't any shoes, and I'm desperate for some sandals, but I don't think H&M have ever stocked shoes big enough for me anyway.

I'm super excited about my haul, so I thought I'd share in one big narcissistic post ;)

Dress: 24, 000W / £13 
White Dress: 9,000W / £10
Finding out this pink shirt goes with everything: Excellent.
Sleeveless blouse: 6,000W / £3.40
Strappy Dress: 9,000W / £5
Shorts to protect my dignity: Free from Nan ;p
Dress: 9,000W / £5
Please ignore the fact that I wear Vans with pretty much everything nowadays.
Camisole: 3,000W / £1.70
Boyfriend: Priceless. Hohohoho.

6 comments:

  1. Aww, I'm so sorry about that! :(( But the new clothes you got are super cute! I love 'em.
    I just came back from China and I realized another problem with shopping in Asia (especially for those who are only visiting) is that the styles are really different! So whenever I go shopping, I really have to ask myself, am I going to wear that when I get back to the states?!? And it's so hard to say no, especially when the clothes are so cute and so cheap lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha aw no need to feel bad! Can't blame the world for me being over-average :p
      Thank you ^^ The dresses make me so happy haha. I can't believe I didn't bring more from home =A=
      This is true! I didn't think there was much difference, but I just came back from Japan and the styling is SO different! At least in Osaka, except for the school uniforms the majority of styles I saw were Mori-style and a sort of J-rocker influence haha. The Korean tourists really ended up standing out a lot because they're SO trendy.
      This is a good point. At home almost all my clothes now are black, grey, or white hahaha. Why did I buy all this colour?

      Delete
    2. Wow, that's so interesting. Haha, I totally understand. Even on school campus, the Korean international students stand out a lot O__O They're so fashionable!!
      Haha, it's OK! You'll have plenty of time to wear your clothes in Korea. An opportunity to change your style! :P

      Delete
    3. I don't know how they do it! Even my elementary students look trendy! There needs to be a class in how to dress Korean style, I've seen people try without guidance and it just doesn't look the same?!

      Delete
    4. OMG! Wow, really? Elementary students too? I definitely remember going through my ugly duck phase during elementary school -___- I was not trendy at all, lol.

      Delete
    5. Yeah! Hahaha I think I'm 22 and still in that phase!! But I defo didn't think about nice clothes until AT LEAST the end of middle school :S

      Delete



blogger template by lovebird